25 ‘Mad Men’ Dating Tips
Recently I had the pleasure of speaking to some gentlemen from another era. I found it interesting how things have changed, and yet how they haven’t.
Enjoy these 25 Mad Men tips. And for all you ‘gentlemen’ out there, chivalry is not dead.
1. When on a date with a woman and when entering any restaurant you will come in first. Why? It’s because the inside of the restaurant is unfamiliar territory and every gentleman’s obligation is to protect his lady companion in all unpleasant situations that may arrive.
2. When inside the restaurant, you will walk in front.
3. You will choose the table at which you will sit (of course if you have a reservation then you cannot choose, your table is already chosen).
4. If you have no reservation and you have to choose a table, you will choose the proper size of the table that suits you and your company. You will make a mental note to always have a reservation.
5. If it is winter time and your lady is removing her coat, you and only you will help her with her coat. The Maître D will help you with yours.
6. If your lady is wearing a hat, she is not obligated to take it down.
7. If you are wearing a hat or a cap, you will take it off as soon as you enter the restaurant.
8. The waiter ormaître d’will escort you to the table and help the lady take her seat. If this is the case, you will let the maître d’ help her. If there is no maître d’ you will help the lady by stepping behind her to pull the chair out and then bringing it back in as she is preparing to take a seat.
9. When placing yourself at the table you will facing the exit of the restaurant or/and where you will be able to easily get the server’s attention when needed.
10. When choosing a meal, the woman will choose first. She will tell you what she wants. You are then to explain her order to the waiter.
11. If she is not too hungry and chooses a simple meal you will also choose a similar one, as you do not want her to sit and bore herself while you are eating your six course meal.
12. You will take her linen napkin, and drape it across her lap.
13. You and only you are responsible for the wine. The wine list is yours, but you should always ask the lady what wine she likes and what would she would like to drink. If she prefers red wines and you prefer white wine, of course you will order red wine.
14. It is your obligation to fill the woman’s glass if it is empty. In many restaurants the waiter will do this but that does not mean that you have to wait for him to fill the lady’s glass.
15. When communicating with the staff of the restaurant, be polite. No need to shout and wave at them. Be discreet, with your gestures and speak in a manner that only the server and your lady can hear you.
16. By no means will you flirt with waitresses or the hostesses. It is an insult to the woman that’s with you.
17. If you have any complaints with the meal or with the service you will tell the waiter to call the maître d’ and explain to him what your complaints are.
18. When the meals arrive, you will wait until your lady companion picks up her utensils before you do. When on a business lunch you will let your boss start first. At your friend’s house you will let the host start first.
19. While speaking you will not shout. No one at the table next to you has to know what are you talking about, and they don’t care. The exception is when you are laughing, but when you laugh you do not need to tear down the walls with the sound of your laugh.
20. If your lady must leave the table, you will stand when she leaves and returns, helping her with her chair upon her return.
21. If you plan to meet at a restaurant, you will arrive at least 15 minutes early, especially if you are meeting a woman. It is rude to let a lady sit at the table by herself.
22. If you extended the invitation, you will pay the bill. If she extended the invitation you should offer to pay the bill and allow her to pay only if she insists on splitting the bill.
23. While leaving the restaurant you will hold the door and let the woman exit first.
24. You will see her home or to a cab, and pay for her cab.
25. You will expect nothing but the hope she will go out with you again.